The Wanderers

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Roadrunner

The Wanderers

Post by Roadrunner » 26 Sep 2017, 09:55

An interesting book that some of you may like and relate to is called The Wanderers by Meg Howrey. It’s science fiction about a trip to Mars but it explores little of the technical / science aspects and is almost entirely about the effects on emotions and relationships among the astronauts, between the astronauts and their family, and between the astronauts and mission control who sees all.

I think this audience might find it interesting because many of the scenarios seem applicable to us StayLDSers.
• What are the effects on relationships between spouses if one is the most famous person on the planet (applicable to spouses who have visible and busy callings)
• What are effects on relationships between parent / child if one is the most famous person on the planet (how do kids find their own space and don’t have their own identity)
• How do deal with a spouse who values work (or the one true church) more than relationship with other spouse.
• What is reality? (secrecy and trust issues between mission control and astronauts)
• What should intimate partners share and what should they hide, and how much do they trust each other?
• Homosexual attraction in an environment that doesn’t accept homosexuality. (child of an astronaut hiding it from a parent)

I found myself on the verge of tears a couple of times while reading this. I described the book to my wife and she related to it as well. Great book, easy read. Interesting intersection of science fiction and “touchy feely”.

mom3

Re: The Wanderers

Post by mom3 » 26 Sep 2017, 10:47

Thanks Roadrunner,

I will add it to my list.
I found myself on the verge of tears a couple of times while reading this. I described the book to my wife and she related to it as well. Great book, easy read. Interesting intersection of science fiction and “touchy feely”.
A couple weeks back in Relief Society, the "out of the best books" conversation got rolling. A hundred Sunday School answers popped up - read your scriptures, Ensign, Deseret book books, etc. A teacher friend and I both popped our hands up at the same time to state fiction books in multiple genres are some of the best books for people to read. The impact on the mind and heart can be life changing. Everyone in the room, was shell shocked, that was fun to watch. My point is - you proved my point. Fiction can influence in ways non-fiction (and or church material) can not.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman