Utah Legislature on Abortion

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
gospeltangents

Utah Legislature on Abortion

Post by gospeltangents » 08 Aug 2017, 09:26

I was listening to "On the Media" and heard something on how the Utah legislature has led the nation on abortion legislation. See http://www.wnyc.org/story/state-legisla ... ee-you-now
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

Roy

Re: Utah Legislature on Abortion

Post by Roy » 08 Aug 2017, 11:26

Can someone provide the highlights for those of us that do not do well listening?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents » 09 Aug 2017, 17:49

Utah law forces doctors to give medically unsound info to those seeking abortions. They have a 30 page booklet that the doctor must review info with patient, and much of the information is questionable from a medical basis. They have a new "fetal pain" law, saying that the fetus must be administered pain meds for the abortion, but there is no safe way to do this, and it's unclear if fetuses even feel pain. In short, the medical community, despite the law, has no idea how to implement this law.
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

dande48

Post by dande48 » 09 Aug 2017, 18:48

That's politics! The Supreme Court declares it a constitutional right for every women who wants one, to have an abortion. The state government passes all sorts of legislature making it near impossible, while still technically following the ruling of the SC...

I vote we give everyone in the legislative branch a massive pay-cut for the headache they're giving all of us. Disempower the Judicial. Outlaw the lawyers. Neuter Trump.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 09 Aug 2017, 20:53

I just want to point out by way of reminder that this site does not have a platform that is either pro-life or pro-choice. There are plenty of people on both sides of this issue who have experienced a faith crisis and are trying to StayLDS in some way. We welcome them all. Keep in mind that most of us here are very complicated.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Aug 2017, 23:03

OON beat me to it. There is no "One True Answer" here for most (if not all) questions. Let's remember not to get dogmatic in what we insist on being the one, right view. Even the LDS Church's official stance on abortion is more complicated than many (perhaps most) members realize.

Thst is NOT directed at any person or people. It simply is a generic reminder.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents » 09 Aug 2017, 23:58

By the way, the link I posted is just 12 min long.

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 Aug 2017, 10:35

Awww, the place where legislation and medicine meets in an interesting collision indeed.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13