BoM Geography Theories (GT)

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
gospeltangents

BoM Geography Theories (GT)

Post by gospeltangents »

I just posted the first of a 5 part series on the Baja Theory of the Book of Mormon. David Rosenvall and his father put together what became scriptures.lds.org, and this led to their theory that the Book of Mormon took place on the Baja Peninsula (below California.) Here's my first interview: https://gospeltangents.com/2017/07/12/b ... peninsula/

Have you heard of this theory before? Do you think this is a plausible location?

I plan to interview others as well, including George Potter who has 2 very interesting theories. (1) He think he's found Nephi's Harbor in Yemen, (2) He thinks the Book of Mormon took place in Peru.
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com
DarkJedi

Re: BoM Geography Theories (GT)

Post by DarkJedi »

I have heard this theory, as well as others. I have two points of view.

My current predominate view is that the BoM is not what is is claimed to be and is at most a parable/allegory or series of parables/allegories. In other words, it is not a literal history of any people and that being the case, it didn't take place anywhere.

Like most others here I was once an orthodox believing member (as opposed to the less orthodox believer I am now). In truth I never thought about it much then (and I don't really think about it much now). I suppose I did subscribe to the Yucatan theory and generally poo-pooed the Great Lakes theory. Either way, I was never really concerned with where it took place as much as what was in it.

So, from both my current and past points of view, location matters not to me. I do believe the BoM to be a good book which can and does bring people closer to God and Christ and that's all that really matters.

I suppose that if God wanted us to know details about where the BoM took place he would have made it known in the book or through modern prophets (perhaps supposing it's not in the sealed portions). We do, after all, know the vast majority of locations in which Bible stories (most of which I also believe to be parables/allegories) took place.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

I have heard of it and am interested in all theories, even though I believe it is an unanswerable question, lacking archeological evidence. It is set in a very small area in a very large world (even if the focus remains only on the American continents), and the archaeological descriptions are scarce enough to be difficult to find - especially given the destruction described in 3 Nephi.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Roy

Post by Roy »

I had read that the "bountiful" or launch site would have to be from the east coast of the Arabian peninsula and that the most direct eastern route would put the landing in the neighborhood of Peru.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents »

I have a forthcoming interview scheduled with George Potter. He thinks he's found Nephi's harbor in Yemen. It's a pretty interesting theory. I think a couple of other guys names Ashworth have a slightly different location in Yemen too.
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com
gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents »

Here's part 2 where David compares Baja to Meso: https://gospeltangents.com/2017/07/15/baja-vs-meso/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Roy wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 10:14 I had read that the "bountiful" or launch site would have to be from the east coast of the Arabian peninsula and that the most direct eastern route would put the landing in the neighborhood of Peru.
There isn't really one. Westward and you must round Africa... eastwards and you must round India, South East Asia with its thousands of islands and of course Australia.

Has anyone come up with an Aussie BOM theory?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

SamBee wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 13:08
Roy wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 10:14 I had read that the "bountiful" or launch site would have to be from the east coast of the Arabian peninsula and that the most direct eastern route would put the landing in the neighborhood of Peru.
There isn't really one. Westward and you must round Africa... eastwards and you must round India, South East Asia with its thousands of islands and of course Australia.

Has anyone come up with an Aussie BOM theory?
I jokingly did a New Zealand one once (I served my mission there and my companion was not amused). I have also seen a Malaysian theory somewhere.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
dande48

Post by dande48 »

Back at BYU, I remember having BOM professor who made us memorize the exact location of where he thought the BOM cities are located... :roll:

Honestly, I don't think anyone will ever be able to pinpoint exactly where the BOM took place (barring the Second Coming). Were it possible to uncover, I'm confident it would've been uncovered with certainty by now. But uncovering the exact location would "take away our need for faith" and "frustrate God's purposes", right?
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Narrow neck of land?

* Baja
* Malay peninsula
* Cape Yorke, Queensland, Australia (Oz top right)
* Northland, New Zealand (top left)
* Central America
* Florida
* Cuba
* Tierra del Fuego (Southern South America)
* Italy
* Crimea
* Japan
* Indonesia
* Papua New Guinea
* Greece
* Denmark
* Great Britain
* Antarctic Peninsula
* Kamchatka
* Westfjords, Iceland
* Norway...

The list goes on
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."