They Live

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
SamBee

They Live

Post by SamBee » 19 Jun 2017, 08:15

(Film contains adult language and a lot of violence but no nudity AFAIK)

I am watching They Live just now... anyone else familiar with this film?

A working class man, on skid row, travels to LA to get work... only to find that things are little better there. He gets work on a construction site and ends up sleeping in a church shelter. Only thing is that the church is not what it seems.

The man finds a pair of sunglasses, and putting them on, finds the world looks a bit different - billboards and magazines contain hidden messages - "obey", "do not question authority", "marry and reproduce" etc. All very LDS sounding slogans. He takes the glasses off and it all returns to "normal". Putting them back on, some people look a bit "different", like ghouls - they all happen to be rich and powerful... as one character later remarks, these people are "not from Cleveland" but they control the world.

Anyway, apart from one over-long fight scene which is notorious... this is a really good 80s satire on American society and how people sell out to get ahead.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Re: They Live

Post by nibbler » 19 Jun 2017, 10:14

I saw parts of it on TV years ago.

Is the fight scene you're referring to the one where one guy attempts to get the other guy (how's that for specifics) to put on the pair of sunglasses so the other guy will see the world as he does?

:lol:

I suppose there's a metaphor in there someplace for forcing our perspectives onto others.
I hereby place an order for one cheese pizza. -nibbler

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Jun 2017, 14:16

Yes the fight scene about the glasses goes on too long and it is a bit of an 80s action film, but it is a very good satire of modern life. Some conspiracy theorists see it as real - director John Carpenter said it is a bit of a documentary, it is in a way.

By the way - there is one bit of nudity, right in the epilogue right at the very end.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 21 Jul 2017, 08:33

I'm not really into action films but I have seen this one. It certainly had some interesting ideas for a rather run of the mill action film. It kind of reminds me of The Matrix in a way. But that fight scene! I still remember being flabbergasted as to how long it went on and on an on.....
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---