Daring Greatly

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Reuben

Daring Greatly

Post by Reuben » 14 Mar 2017, 06:48

I'm getting Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent and Lead in the mail tomorrow. I'm too excited to not post about it.
Researcher and thought leader Dr. Brene Brown offers a powerful new vision that encourages us to dare greatly: to embrace vulnerability and imperfection, to live wholeheartedly, and to courageously engage in our lives.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; . . . who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly. --Theodore Roosevelt

Every day we experience the uncertainty, risks, and emotional exposure that define what it means to be vulnerable, or to dare greatly. Whether the arena is a new relationship, an important meeting, our creative process, or a difficult family conversation, we must find the courage to walk into vulnerability and engage with our whole hearts.

In Daring Greatly, Dr. Brown challenges everything we think we know about vulnerability. Based on twelve years of research, her book argues that vulnerability is not weakness but rather our clearest path to courage, engagement, and meaningful connection. The book that Dr. Brown's many fans have been waiting for, Daring Greatly will spark a new spirit of truth -- and trust -- in our organizations, families, schools, and communities.
In the meantime, I'm settling for a bunch of interview videos about her faith journey and her observations about faith and religion:

http://www.theworkofthepeople.com/list/ ... rene-brown

Also her two TED talks:

https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability
https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_l ... g_to_shame

Review to come, soon-ish.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before sanctity or certainty.

mom3

Re: Daring Greatly

Post by mom3 » 14 Mar 2017, 08:45

I have read 3 of her books. Daring Greatly was one of them. I have listened to 2 of her TED talks on her research on vulnerability. I also find I have to proceed cautiously with the LDS world and Brene. The two are not synonymous. But I keep her ideas in my pocket and share them as much as I can. Now over here, she might be a wonderful discussion point.

Enjoy the read.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 16 Mar 2017, 19:05

mom3 said what I would have said.

Thanks for posting the links and summary. It can help people who lurk and read, even if it doesn't get a lot of comments.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 19 Mar 2017, 11:13

mom3 wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 08:45
I also find I have to proceed cautiously with the LDS world and Brene. The two are not synonymous.
I am curious what might be the major sticking points between LDS world and Dr. Brown's worldview. Anyone care to give some bullet points?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 19 Mar 2017, 11:52

Shame for one thing. She really preaches that we need to get rid of most shame. My perspective is that the church uses guilt and shame in many ways.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 19 Mar 2017, 15:15

LH - made my first point. Shame

I don't doubt her accuracy on that point. And LH is correct guilt/shame is a major religious tool. It's hard to be inspired by an idea then run flat faced into the opposite. It's also to want to be guilted or shamed, but tons harder not to shame the other guy. IMO.

Creativity - It's a fantastic idea. I concur with it. LDSness is not creative. Any creative we have on a local/personal level is long gone.

I love Brene, she is inspiring, but our church buddies don't subscribe to her. Probably haven't even heard of her. I do believe if we learn to practice her principles we may help soften the world. It's just going to take a long time.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman