The Last Supper

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
SamBee

The Last Supper

Post by SamBee » 11 Mar 2017, 17:09

I hadn't seen this 1995 gem for a good long while. I was over visiting a good friend of mine who is an inactive member - he showed me the first episode of Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix and I suggested the Last Supper would appeal to his very black sense of humor.

The film features an interesting cast - Ron Perlman is the star turn, possibly his best role; Bill Paxton, Charles Durning, Elisabeth Moss, Courtney B. Vance, Annabelle Gish and a then unknown Cameron Diaz.

The film's main premise is this very commonly asked question - if you could go back to 1909 and kill a young Adolf Hitler, would you? It has also been misconstrued as a piece of liberal Hollywood propaganda because its message has gone straight over certain people's heads.

One dark and rainy night, a group of very smug and well-off grad students are sitting at home, eating a fancy supper, when their housemate comes to the door. His car has broken down and a trucker has helped him. They invite the trucker in for supper... it transpires he is a Gulf War veteran and holds some pro-Hitler views. After he attacks a Jewish housemate, he ends up being stabbed in self-defense. The students decide to bury the body under their tomato patch, because they don't want trouble.

The housemates are all pretty or handsome - the scenario is like Friends gone wrong!

One of the students asks the Hitler conundrum- if you could, would you? And they bring over various guests who are poisoned by them in turn. There is only one problem - their victims become less and less objectionable, and they end up becoming more and more like the people they hate.

However, while the film lags a bit in the middle, it has a pretty impressive finale.

I think the film is unfair on religion but it does use religious imagery in many places including the title itself.

The conservative* victims often have stereotypical views - but that is the point - they are being lampooned and the students think of them all as Hitler. However, the liberals are the real butt of the joke here. The film is in some ways twenty years ahead of its time - we have seen such extremism come to fore in US politics recently, and we also see the political spectrum splintering into isolated echo chamber groups.

Warning: the film contains swearing and some violence (no nudity though).

* I'm not a fan of the conservative/liberal paradigm. I consider myself neither.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13

Re: The Last Supper

Post by Heber13 » 11 Mar 2017, 19:11

Sounds kinda interesting.

Can you explain a little more how they are inviting people over, the people that get poisoned...are they just neighbors and being invited over as a neighborly gesture? If so..why are they killing them?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 Mar 2017, 19:25

The first death is accidental - kind of, but then they get the idea that inviting over far right fanatics and poisoning them may stop them from doing any more damage. Of course, they end up becoming what they claim to oppose.

The victims are not quite neighbors.The second one is a churchman with certain views on AIDS - one of the students had interviewed him in the past.

The humor is *very* black.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 Mar 2017, 19:30

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 12 Mar 2017, 08:45

It sounds interesting, I'll have to remember to watch it when I get a chance.