Doctor Strange (movie)

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Heber13

Re: Doctor Strange (movie)

Post by Heber13 » 12 Mar 2017, 21:47

Reuben wrote:
12 Mar 2017, 14:30
Strictly speaking, it's not the institution doing it, or even its doctrine, but the culture.
I agree with this.
Even if every adult member were a nonliteral believer, the next generation would be predominantly literal because of our discourse. Children aren't going to read between the lines.
I disagree with this. I believe our children are already beginning to see things differently than I did at their age, because stuff is out there to be learned about non-literal belief...and even at BYU they are teaching different views. The ship turns slowly. But the children are able to get different views than just orthodoxy, although that is still dominant and valued. I'm able to have hypothetical discussions with my married children. However, I try not to go too far. I let them lead the questions and thoughts and hypotheticals. But I see it in them.
My wife and I talked today about how the Church could possibly explicitly allow for nonliteral belief without destroying the faith of those who need literal belief. I suggested that the Catholics seem to have it worked out, but I really don't know.
I work for a catholic organization, and they do have straight out and open talks about how the bible is riddled with historical inaccuracies, if that is how catholics want to view the bible...they tell me they will have a struggle when the bible was never written with that intention of such detail. Even still, the catholic leaders I talk to say that it is not their place to convince people to take it all literal or discard literal interpretation. They simply allow others to go down that path, but sympathize with those making claims of biblical or papal infallacy. Of course, I'm just talking about a small group I interract with..there is sure to be variation but the point is that many Catholics do work it out successfully and I admire them for it. When we can discard our prejudice that the catholic church was the "Churh of the Devil" interpretation from decades ago...and you look at how such a huge organization manages...we have a lot to learn from them. I have respect for them, from my point of view.

To the point...if they can figure it out...so can mormons. We are just a little slow. Laggards, it seems.
Token callback to the topic at hand: maybe The Ancient One did have this worked out, but Strange deduced too much before she could teach him that TBM needed more rigid rules than he did.
To this point...that is what the story is celebrating about the hero of the story...he is able to not be held to teachings that keep him bound by rigid rules, even if the leader thinks it is best. And that is what I like about it, as nibbler compares it to the church. We too, even though the leaders are trying to keep us safe in the fold, I think we can shine and show that it doesn't have to be that way...even if culture makes it hard to be different.

I still support SSM. I see nothing about it that bothers me. There is nothing in our culture that will support me in my position. I do not know how to articulate it to others to have them affirm it is ok for me to believe what I believe. But it does not mean I cannot have my view. In time, I think truth will be made known on what is acceptable to God. That is one example. Although the current of the culture may not go that way...I also find I can navigate (to some extent) my way without having to paddle upstream.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 12 Mar 2017, 21:52

SamBee wrote:
12 Mar 2017, 18:05
I'm a little bored of superhero films - is there enough here to differentiate it from the rest?
I would say this story has more mysticism in it, which is a bit different from other super hero stories. Although...still...it is what it is. It is entertainment...not really going to find deep meaning in it...jsut some interesting parallels nibbler brings out.

The silly part of these movies is that all conflict seems to be resolved by fist fights. Even this one. It can get old.

But the Infinity Wars is in production...I can't get tired of them until that war culminates...my childhood comic book nerd self is revealed. :geek:
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 13 Mar 2017, 03:09

Yes, I agree about the fights thing. In Man of Steel there is a fight that goes on far too long and kind of killed it for me. How many times can you watch someone being shoved through walls?

Now and then superhero films can be interesting - the Thor film had some interesting parallels to LDS theology (Loki wanted to override humans' agency), and V for Vendetta despite its faults had an interesting scenario... but on the other hand Watchmen left me cold and I switched off Suicide Squad after twenty minutes and haven't attempted to watch it since.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 13 Mar 2017, 03:15

Roy wrote:
12 Mar 2017, 12:47
hawkgrrrl wrote:
11 Mar 2017, 12:23
There was a parody of teen dystopia movies that SNL did about a year or two ago. It was like a mash up of Harry Potter, Divergent, the Maze Runner, the Giver, and others. It was pretty funny, but there were a few tropes that it brought up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnTltDzqhzM
Oh man! I've never seen the Giver or Divergent but the Maze Runner bits were pretty much right on the money.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 13 Mar 2017, 06:02

Heber13 wrote:
12 Mar 2017, 21:47
To the point...if they can figure it out...so can mormons. We are just a little slow. Laggards, it seems.
To be fair to Mormons... the Catholics do enjoy a 1500+ year head start.
I hereby place an order for one cheese pizza. -nibbler

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 13 Mar 2017, 06:14

SamBee wrote:
13 Mar 2017, 03:09
Yes, I agree about the fights thing. In Man of Steel there is a fight that goes on far too long and kind of killed it for me. How many times can you watch someone being shoved through walls?
Is it any more or any less than the number of times people can sit through a high level retelling of the restoration of the church? :P In the DC universe Dawn of Justice and The Dark Knight Rises didn't work for me. In Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice you have that same theme hawkgrrrl talks about, calling into question whether everything someone that the movie sets up to be the "good" guy is actually wanted or desirable. There are shades of gray.

Yes, most superhero movies follow a formula. I like the ones that include comedic elements. Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man come to mind. Dr. Strange uses sarcasm for its humor.

And I agree, Suicide Squad was terrible.
I hereby place an order for one cheese pizza. -nibbler

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 14 Mar 2017, 02:59

My favorite gay Mormon movie critic gave Dr. Strange a B+:

https://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/doctor-strange/

Some more background: Eric was a writer/songwriter/actor for the BYU comedy troupe "The Garrens" in the 90s, when the cast of Studio C was still in diapers. He also struggles with depression. Props to him for sticking it out and staying LDS - it probably wasn't easy. (This is all public information - I don't know Eric personally.)

I find that my internal movie reviews match his external movie reviews more often than not.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before sanctity or certainty.