Dialogue Podcast

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
LookingHard

Dialogue Podcast

Post by LookingHard » 21 Oct 2016, 11:44

Dialogue has released a few podcasts from their 50 year Jubilee conference (unfortunatly the sound was optimized for in-person and is almost painful to listen to the playback). The latest one is short and I find it interesting Dialogue podcast It is just a chat between Marlin Jensen (previous church historian) and Greg Prince on the topic of “The Future of Faith.” I like how Marlin Jensen said he couldn't be an intellectual apostate because he couldn't reach the level of "intellectual", but he did say Greg Prince is an intellectual, but still faithful.

mom3

Re: Dialogue Podcast

Post by mom3 » 21 Oct 2016, 21:56

I will like this one. I just finished the part 2 podcast with Kristine Haglund, Joanna Brooks, and Boyd Peterson.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ann

Post by Ann » 23 Oct 2016, 23:33

Since you warned about the sound, I didn't listen, but there's at least a bit of it transcribed in the link. Marlin Jensen seems like a really wonderful person. (And it's interesting to hear the former church historian essentially say that he's moved past the battles and debates.) In this conversation they just never really say what doubts they're talking about. Like whether God exists? Or whether Nephites exist? He says, "the Book of Mormon will always need to remain a matter of faith," but what does that really mean? Are people without literal belief, who say they're without literal belief, welcome and acceptable? I'm not talking about poking people in the eye with it. But for me non-literalness is an integral part of my testimony of the Book of Mormon. I can't explain what it means to me without that. Needless to say, I haven't said a word aloud about it for several years now.

I like the joke about the intellectual getting to the pearly gates. (Two signs: "Heaven this way" and "Lecture on Heaven this way." :lol: )

The discussion about how/why the essays were placed "deep" in the website is interesting.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 25 Oct 2016, 08:23

I adore Marlin Jensen. He is an amazing, humble, quiet, non-assuming man - and he is a role model for us here at this site in some important ways.

When the Book of Life is opened, most members will be stunned at the massive role he has played in the progressive movement of the LDS Church.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Oct 2016, 09:53

I met Elder Jensen more than once. I agree that he is amazing and humble, the kind of man I'd love to have as my bishop.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction