Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his book

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Ann

Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his book

Post by Ann » 12 Sep 2016, 23:12

"Biblical Literalism: A Gentile Heresy"
http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/biblical-literalism

This dismantles things more than I was ready for, but he rebuilds and gives me a lot to think about.

For nibbler's information: run time is 51:35. :smile:
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

LookingHard

Re: Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his

Post by LookingHard » 13 Sep 2016, 09:13

if you like that, you might also like Maxwell Institute Podcast #53—James L. Kugel on how to read the Bible (hawkgrrrl convinced me to take a second look at the latter Maxwell Institute as I had written them off a bit back about 3 years ago).

gospeltangents

Re: Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his book

Post by gospeltangents » 11 Jul 2017, 19:04

I recently listened to this podcast, and I think it is wonderful!
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Jul 2017, 07:33

Yep, the Jews didn't take their scriptures literally, and neither did the early Christians. It wasn't until Rome needed a literal justification to unify the kingdom that the multiple religious/spiritual views were melded into one structure that was viewed literally, and the literal view began to dominate.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 12 Jul 2017, 09:32

Thanks for the suggestion Ann. I look forward to listening to this! I have recently shed entirely my belief in literal scripture and am trying to still find value when my viewpoint has changed so drastically from how I was raised.

To this end, I am also expanding and broadening what I can consider scripture beyond the LDS canon.

So this may be a topic for a separate post, but what is scripture? How do you define it if not in the traditional LDS way?

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Jul 2017, 09:36

The LDS Bible Dictionaey defines it as anything spoken (or written) by inspiration from God.

I like that expansive definition, especially since it includes lots of non-LDS statements and writings.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 12 Jul 2017, 09:43

Ray DeGraw wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 09:36
The LDS Bible Dictionaey defines it as anything spoken (or written) by inspiration from God.

I like that expansive definition, especially since it includes lots of non-LDS statements and writings.
Beautiful! I didn't realize we had such an expansive definition within our own community. However, I think many Mormons would balk if we started calling non-canonical works "scripture." But I love it!

The trouble is knowing what is inspired from God and I guess that can come down to a personal decision.

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 13 Jul 2017, 18:50

Just listened and I have to say I loved it! Even if you don't agree entirely with his quite liberalized non-literal approach, he shares a "testimony" towards the end about his idea of God and the divine that is just beautiful.

I highly recommend listening and if you don't have the time, just listen to the last 10 or 15 minutes as he shares his concept of God. I found it so deeply inspirational and beautiful.

DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot » 01 Oct 2017, 11:59

I finished Spong's book in the past few weeks. GT, you were right in the sense that he really dismantles a lot of religious ideas regarding biblical literalism! His treatment of the gospels as they relate to the liturgical year of Judaism is absolutely fascinating. I found a lot of correlations. It seems to me that the gospels seem more like midrash/interpretive text than anything else at this point! It seems like he even has a different belief in a physical resurrection. I have been pondering it myself lately, but it was so interesting to read about his work. Very uplifting. Thanks for sharing, GT!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons

gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents » 01 Oct 2017, 13:46

I recently interviewed Sandra Tanner (yes, THAT Sandra Tanner) regarding how they thought the Salamander Letter was a forgery.

I was impressed that Jerald was so astute to figure that out, yet most of the books of the Bible were not written by their purported authors. Many scholars believe this, and I even mentioned Spong's book about biblical literalism. Yet Sandra Tanner still believes in the Bible, and while she does allow that evolution is compatible with the bible, yet she is a literalist when it comes to New Testament authorship. It seemed like quite a paradox to me.

I really like Spong's interview.
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com