Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his book

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Ann

Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his book

Post by Ann » 12 Sep 2016, 23:12

"Biblical Literalism: A Gentile Heresy"
http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/biblical-literalism

This dismantles things more than I was ready for, but he rebuilds and gives me a lot to think about.

For nibbler's information: run time is 51:35. :smile:
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

LookingHard

Re: Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his

Post by LookingHard » 13 Sep 2016, 09:13

if you like that, you might also like Maxwell Institute Podcast #53—James L. Kugel on how to read the Bible (hawkgrrrl convinced me to take a second look at the latter Maxwell Institute as I had written them off a bit back about 3 years ago).

gospeltangents

Re: Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his book

Post by gospeltangents » 11 Jul 2017, 19:04

I recently listened to this podcast, and I think it is wonderful!
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 12 Jul 2017, 07:33

Yep, the Jews didn't take their scriptures literally, and neither did the early Christians. It wasn't until Rome needed a literal justification to unify the kingdom that the multiple religious/spiritual views were melded into one structure that was viewed literally, and the literal view began to dominate.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 12 Jul 2017, 09:32

Thanks for the suggestion Ann. I look forward to listening to this! I have recently shed entirely my belief in literal scripture and am trying to still find value when my viewpoint has changed so drastically from how I was raised.

To this end, I am also expanding and broadening what I can consider scripture beyond the LDS canon.

So this may be a topic for a separate post, but what is scripture? How do you define it if not in the traditional LDS way?

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 12 Jul 2017, 09:36

The LDS Bible Dictionaey defines it as anything spoken (or written) by inspiration from God.

I like that expansive definition, especially since it includes lots of non-LDS statements and writings.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 12 Jul 2017, 09:43

Ray DeGraw wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 09:36
The LDS Bible Dictionaey defines it as anything spoken (or written) by inspiration from God.

I like that expansive definition, especially since it includes lots of non-LDS statements and writings.
Beautiful! I didn't realize we had such an expansive definition within our own community. However, I think many Mormons would balk if we started calling non-canonical works "scripture." But I love it!

The trouble is knowing what is inspired from God and I guess that can come down to a personal decision.

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 13 Jul 2017, 18:50

Just listened and I have to say I loved it! Even if you don't agree entirely with his quite liberalized non-literal approach, he shares a "testimony" towards the end about his idea of God and the divine that is just beautiful.

I highly recommend listening and if you don't have the time, just listen to the last 10 or 15 minutes as he shares his concept of God. I found it so deeply inspirational and beautiful.