Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his book

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
SamBee

Re: Radiowest interview with Episcopal Bishop Spong re. his book

Post by SamBee » 24 Jan 2018, 16:18

Literalism is a post-modernist plague, and it's not just the fundamentalists at it, but a lot of the atheists.

There are an increasing number out there who seem to be unable to understand nuance, metaphor, literary forms, allegory etc. And not just in the religious sense, such people struggle with art, music, secular literature and more sophisticated forms of satire.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Jan 2018, 16:20

gospeltangents wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 13:46
I recently interviewed Sandra Tanner (yes, THAT Sandra Tanner) regarding how they thought the Salamander Letter was a forgery.

I was impressed that Jerald was so astute to figure that out, yet most of the books of the Bible were not written by their purported authors. Many scholars believe this, and I even mentioned Spong's book about biblical literalism. Yet Sandra Tanner still believes in the Bible, and while she does allow that evolution is compatible with the bible, yet she is a literalist when it comes to New Testament authorship. It seemed like quite a paradox to me.

I really like Spong's interview.
The Tanners do have a certain amount of integrity - to be fair I know they ripped into Ed Decker for completely misrepresenting and lying about temple ceremonies.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents » 24 Jan 2018, 22:49

Yes, we talked about that in our interview. Jerald really took Ed Decker to town after the screening. They were a bit perplexed!
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 06 Feb 2018, 03:10

gospeltangents wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 22:49
Yes, we talked about that in our interview. Jerald really took Ed Decker to town after the screening. They were a bit perplexed!
I admire and respect them for that... An unusual thing for an active TR-holding LDS member to say that about the Tanners, but yes, that is how I feel.about them on the issue.

Decker accused them of being possessed, but his stories about the temple and his role in the LDS do not hold up. Wrist slitting and satanic rituals in the temple? All I can say is if that ever does happen then, >99.9% of the membership including most of the leadership never take part! Decker has lied about Freemasonry too but given the diversity of that movement, it is harder to prove.