"Our Heavenly Family; Our Earthly Families"

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Ann

"Our Heavenly Family; Our Earthly Families"

Post by Ann » 09 Sep 2016, 09:47

http://www.timesandseasons.org/index.ph ... -families/

Here's a quick review of a book we'll probably see a lot of between now and New Year's. I haven't seen it, so don't have any comment to add, but I like the attention it apparently gives to Heavenly Father and Mother.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Heber13

Re: "Our Heavenly Family; Our Earthly Families"

Post by Heber13 » 09 Sep 2016, 10:05

Pages are titled, for example, “Families Thrive with Love” and “Families Counsel Together.”
It would be nice to focus on these qualities of heavenly families, and that no matter what families look like...the purpose and value is in the connections and love and support and learning that comes from how our families function...not how they look.

If the focus becomes One Father, One Mother, nuclear family-type descriptions of roles and genders....it will not withstand the light of day.

Because families in reality are not just of one mold. Divorce, sickness, finances, cultures, customs, makeup and variation all will exist. The fundamental foundation of families is the love and the counseling together.

I hope for more discussions of Heavenly Mother...but not if it is a retrenchment of sexist roles for her that teach my daughters the wrong things about their potential in eternal families.

My question I wonder about: Do I want to hope my Eternal Family changes and heals my broken Earthly Family (as if the Eternal Family must be One Way...and since we are not like that now...I hope for it to be different or "fixed" someday)?

Or do I want my earthly family to be acceptable as it is and thrive on love and counsel so it continues as an Eternal Family just the way it is here on Earth but with stronger relationships that continue forever?

I dont' want to live this whole earthly life telling my family we are broken and have to wait for the next life to be good enough for god. I want my eternal family to be our family now...and continue on forever.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Ann

Post by Ann » 09 Sep 2016, 10:36

Heber13 wrote:I hope for more discussions of Heavenly Mother...but not if it is a retrenchment of sexist roles for her that teach my daughters the wrong things about their potential in eternal families.
I agree. The fear on both ends of the spectrum seems to be that Heavenly Mother-talk is just code for "ordain women" on the one hand, or "parenthood is what life is all about, and you're less-than until then." I'd like it to just be about the obvious for now: if we have a Father, we have a Mother, and there should be no heavy hands on people who want to talk about her.
My question I wonder about: Do I want to hope my Eternal Family changes and heals my broken Earthly Family (as if the Eternal Family must be One Way...and since we are not like that now...I hope for it to be different or "fixed" someday)?

Or do I want my earthly family to be acceptable as it is and thrive on love and counsel so it continues as an Eternal Family just the way it is here on Earth but with stronger relationships that continue forever?

I dont' want to live this whole earthly life telling my family we are broken and have to wait for the next life to be good enough for god. I want my eternal family to be our family now...and continue on forever.
It's sad that we do this. I also think of so many people who may have wanted to consider marrying outside the temple, or outside the church altogether, but were held back by their own or others' belief that this would be unacceptable to God, when what it really is is unacceptable to the church.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Sep 2016, 14:02

I forgot this thread, so I am bumping it up and closing the one I just posted.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 25 Dec 2016, 06:24

The trouble with Heavenly Mother is we get taught almost nothing about her. Who is she? Our equivalent of the Catholics' BVM? A sort of hive queen? A direct counterpart to HF?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."