Boyd Peterson blog

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
LookingHard

Boyd Peterson blog

Post by LookingHard » 04 Aug 2016, 07:03

A REALLY good blog entry.
http://rationalfaiths.com/landing-instr ... th-crisis/

I was already loving Boyd after listening to him at https://www.dialoguejournal.com/2016/di ... -petersen/

But I have only read about 1/2 of this (it is long and I will need to wait for lunch to read and study it).
What Runnells and others like him are experiencing is not crisis of information, it’s a crisis of confidence, a crisis of confidence in Church authority and institutions and a crisis of confidence in scripture and prophetic utterance.
That sure rings true to me on how I see myself. I feel the only thing I can firmly stand on is that it is good for me to help others feel less pain in this life.

He also mentions a friend saying
“My kids aren’t asking how do I reconcile four versions of the First Vision. They are asking how can I trust that the church is getting anything right when the past seems so full of screw-ups, blunders, prejudice, ignorance, and evil?”
I know 1/2 my kids fit this description, and heck - I fit that description.

I can't wait until lunch when I have time to dig into this.

Ann

Re: Boyd Peterson blog

Post by Ann » 04 Aug 2016, 11:49

It's great. Thanks.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 05 Aug 2016, 10:38

I thought this was interesting. He provides a smaller-scale version of Fowler, describing how people go through a pre-critical, critical, and post-critical phase of their faith. Pre-critical is where there is little questioning, critical is like Stage 4 of Fowler ridden with tension, and the post critical phase is where you reconcile the stuff in the critical phase. I thought this was useful.

I also thought his comment about how faith crisis is not the right expression in some contexts -- it's a crisis of confidence in the church and its leaders given things like a multi-generational belief that Blacks should not have the priesthood. I thought he hit the nail on the head through that example, as it was my conclusion from the essays -- that prophets DO lead others astray, that cultural values DO interfere with the truth, etcetera.

His advice for dealing with peeps in faith crisis is very good...points like preserving the relationship, recognize God has eternity on this side to help us approach the truth, be prepared to listen, don't judge, be prepared to learn something! Overall, a great article, although a bit long, There about five or six sections I wanted to post here but I will leave it to you to look it over...no multi-quote available :)
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 05 Aug 2016, 10:40

Some excellent stuff. Thanks for sharing it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Willhewonder

Post by Willhewonder » 07 Feb 2017, 18:51

Thanks for this. The article really talked to me. I especially liked the part about the need to convert belief to faith, and that as you do this, your faith is changed and you can never go back. I have found personally, however, that I can still recapture the old and comforting feeling of being within the love of God - and that means a great deal to me. Once again, thanks.