Joseph Smith

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
jgaskill

Joseph Smith

Post by jgaskill »

Hi I am wanting to conduct an in depth study in 2016 of the life of Joseph Smith . What books would any of you suggest ??? Thank You.
Minyan Man

Re: Joseph Smith

Post by Minyan Man »

The first one that comes to mind is: Joseph Smith Rough Stone Rolling by: Richard Lyman Bushman.
IMO it is fair & balanced.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

I agree with RSR, it's a great book. You might also check out the Joseph Smith Papers project online as well as the books.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 »

Rough Stone Rolling is my favorite.

You might also get a lot out of Michael Quinn's Early Mormonism and the Magical World View

While you read those and study, I suggest you stay balanced in church doctrine and experience, and remember that Joseph is part of the church history. Keep it in it's place as part of the church story, and let it open your eyes to how mormonism works, not let it shock you that it must be false...one does not have to conclude that, nor is it difficult to force belief in the church despite history. It simply is what it is.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

The three suggestions so far are excellent.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Roy

Post by Roy »

I really enjoyed the book "Mormon Enigma" about Emma Smith. It is a little older and therefore might not contain all the latest information and the focus is on Emma rather than Joseph, but you might find it helpful.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic »

You may wish to consult the resources listed under Joseph Smith / Emma Hale Smith on mormonspetrum.org:

http://www.mormonspectrum.org/booklist/

Some of these are from a less than faithful perspective, so keep that in mind.

JOSEPH SMITH/EMMA HALE SMITH
American Crucifixion: The Murder of Joseph Smith and the Fate of the Mormon Church - Alex Beam
Joseph Smith: The First Mormon – Donna Hill
Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling – Richard Lyman Bushman
Joseph Smith: The Making of a Prophet - Dan Vogel
Joseph Smiths 1828 – 1843 Revelations - H. Michael Marquardt
Mormon Enigma - Linda King Newell & Valeen Tippetts Avery
No Man Knows My History: The Life of Joseph Smith – Fawn M. Brodie
Personal Writings of Joseph Smith - Dean C. Jessee
The Prophet Puzzle: Interpretive Essays on Joseph Smith - Bryan Waterman
The Words of Joseph Smith: The contemporary accounts of the Nauvoo discourses of the Prophet Joseph – Andrew F. Ehat
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

American Crucifixion-Alex Beam. The most recent book, reads more like popular history than dry history and to my knowledge is the only text from the Mormon Spectrum list written by an author (Alex Beam) that truly seems to have no agenda. He is not Mormon or Anti-Mormon (Catholic I believe) and he knew very little about Mormons before his publisher approached him to write this book. Alex Beam had a distinguished career with the Boston Globe before the long process of writing the book and seems to have esteem from all his colleagues. His several interviews avail online before the release of the book show how defensive and respectful he is of Mormons, but he does not sanitize his book either. A book I could not put down.. Don't expect this kind of easier read from Rough Stone Rolling.
Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. ...You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. ~Martin Luther King Jr.

“You have to carry the fire."I don't know how to."Yes, you do."Is the fire real? The fire? "Yes it is."Where is it? I don't know where it is." Yes you do. It's inside you. It always was there. I can see it.”― Cormac McCarthy, The Road