Duty Bound to Reject It!

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Duty Bound to Reject It!

Post by Old-Timer »

I am not saying intimacy is gone in the next life. I believe in intimacy. I just don't believe in sexual intercourse after death or spirit children being born in the way babies are born here in mortality.

It just makes absolutely no sense to me, especially since we teach of immortal physical bodies creating spirits fro existing intelligences. I have no idea what that means in practical terms, but it sounds like a scientific lab much more than a sexual process - and I love the idea, even though I am about as far from a scientist as can be.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Roy

Post by Roy »

Old-Timer wrote: I am not saying intimacy is gone in the next life. I believe in intimacy. I just don't believe in sexual intercourse after death or spirit children being born in the way babies are born here in mortality.
Sex is good, sex is great. One of the reasons that sex is so amazing in this life is because it allows us to feel connected to someone in ways that are hard to achieve through other means. As humans we are so isolated inside our own heads and perceptive worlds. I am no expert but I understand that the drive of sex has to do with the release of dopamine and other bodily chemical functions. In perfected celestial bodies there could be means to connect with others much more fully without sexual means (Telepathy?, Osmosis?, Empathy?, or some new process that we have not even yet imagined?).
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
On Own Now

Post by On Own Now »

As long as everyone is making their opinions known, let me say the following, and in order not to have to pepper "IMO" everywhere, let me say that everything in this post is my opinion and I have no desire either convince or to disparage the beliefs of others:

IMO...

There is no sex in heaven. That's because there is no heaven. There is no man with beard watching over us and he has no wife or wives. There is no divine feminine. There are no babies being born in heaven, via any means. Sex is not a precursor to something we will do after this life, because there is no "after this life". Sex is somethiing handed down to us by the accident of biology that allows our species to procreate... and thank God for such accidents!

What I find most compelling about our nature is that we have the capacity to live our lives with a higher sense of meaning. Sex isn't just for procreation; but for intimacy between loving partners - at a level that our giraffe, cobra, parakeet, and bee co-inhabitants of this planet can never attain. If someone is heterosexual and someone else is homosexual, that's what they get and that's all they will ever get. Neither will emerge on the other side of the veil either to continue or to change the way they are. For that reason, alone, we have a duty to our brothers and sisters to permit them to enjoy the full measure of this wonderful world.

I am very grateful to be alive for this short burn that will someday in the not-too-distant future come to a too-soon ending. I live my life for today and I don't spend any time worrying about what the next life will bring. If the morning after I die, I wake up and find that life goes on in another form, it'll be an amazing surprise. At that point, I'll start asking questions, like how do I get from my home to the nearest steak house and how does the laundry work. Until then, I just celebrate the wonder of life in this immeasurably small blip in the timeline of eons.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

I live my life essentially like OON just described, even as I choose to believe.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken