Dance of the Dissident Daughter - Sue Monk Kidd

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Antiquarian

Dance of the Dissident Daughter - Sue Monk Kidd

Post by Antiquarian » 14 Aug 2009, 11:21

Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd

I have loved this book for a very long time. It is an autobiographical account of her search for female spirituality and a feminine side of God. She goes through a lot, like of leaving and joining a number of churches, how it affected her marriage, a number of things like this. It helped me realize that knowing there is a Heavenly Mother makes me stronger and better as a woman, but it also makes me sad that the church doesn't talk about Her. There are so many people who I think would embrace the Gospel through the LDS church if we were open about Her. I've done a lot of research on why and found that it was a seminary teacher in the 60s that suggested it was to "protect" Her, but I don't by that as a good reason. What kind of a man "protects" a mother by forbidding her children from knowing her or from even openly acknowledging her existence. I'd leave my husband in a heart beat and take the kids with me if he tried. This forced disregard of Her is a huge spiritual thorn for me, but this book gave me the freedom to seek Her on my own. I wanted to share it with others - men and women! I think if we asked about Her more our Father would gladly tell us about Her. I hope it helps someone.

Please read the whole thing - it's a journey with some ugly moments as well as great ones. Also, if anyone has recommendations that deal with Heavenly Mother or feminine spirituality (not Feminist/angry) or spiritually journeys - that would be great.
we've come full circle Lord.
I'd like to think there's some higher meaning in all this.
Certainly would reflect well on you.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Dance of the Dissident Daughter - Sue Monk Kidd

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Aug 2009, 14:59

Thanks for the recommendation.

If you are looking for other things to read, I read a fascinating book years ago in college entitled, "Changing of the Gods" - Naomi Goldenberg. Make sure you get the book by Goldenberg, since there are multiple books with that basic title.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

just me

Post by just me » 18 Aug 2009, 20:35

Sounds interesting.

I have enjoyed Sisters in Spirit (well, what I could read on google books). It tells the history of women in the LDS church. I enjoyed hearing more about how the Relief Society was originally set up with women healing eachother and speaking in tongues. I think it talks a bit about the LDS concept of Heavenly Mother, too.

I really believe that personal revelation is the only way we know about our Mother and the only way we will learn about Her. I still am very comfortable with the male Christ and Eternal Father, but I also think/pray to a Mother/Father sometimes.

I am sad that we have lost the experiences the early LDS women had, like laying on hands for healings and special washings/anointings pre-childbirth. Those would be wonderful spiritual experiences to have, IMO.
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

LadyWisdom

Post by LadyWisdom » 23 Aug 2009, 20:21

This might be just what you are looking for.

http://www.asphodel-long.com/html/lady_wisdom.html

LadyWisdom

Post by LadyWisdom » 23 Aug 2009, 20:31

I also liked the book The Shack and it deals with God, or Papa as character in the novel calls Him, coming in the form of a black woman. I loved how the author explains this, why God came in this form to Mack. It didn't go over too well, in our LDS book club as one might expect, they kind of got caught up in this. You might like the book.

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 23 Aug 2009, 22:00

I've been debating whether or not to add The Shack to the list here, since I don't really recommend it. It has some good truths, but the theology gives me the shivers! Bleahhhh! Overall, I am having a hard time drumming up the interest to finish it. I am liking Conversations With God much more.

Tom
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Aug 2009, 05:17

Yeah, Tom, that's my overall reaction to "The Shack". God as a black woman? Sure, why not? The theology of the actual book? Nope; not for me.

"Conversations with God," otoh, my wife really likes.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 24 Aug 2009, 10:48

Ray Degraw wrote:God as a black woman? Sure, why not? The theology of the actual book? Nope; not for me.
Ditto. I noticed the forum is called "Book Reviews", not as I remembered incorrectly "Recommended Reading". I may add The Shack after all.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com