General Conference Reading List - A Bit of Trivia

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
mom3

General Conference Reading List - A Bit of Trivia

Post by mom3 »

The attached list is 100 books referenced in conference that are not LDS. I had 12 of them. Kind of a fun list to look at.

http://utahvalley360.com/2015/10/01/gen ... many-read/
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
DarkJedi

Re: General Conference Reading List - A Bit of Trivia

Post by DarkJedi »

I didn't realize there were so many, even for a five year period. Pres. Hinckley frequently quoted Dickens. I'm happy to say that I have also quoted Dickens (A Christmas Carol) and Tolkien (The Hobbit) in recent talks. I should probably do it more.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Ann

Re: General Conference Reading List - A Bit of Trivia

Post by Ann »

Out of curiosity I had to look up how Roald Dahl got quoted. It was by E. Uchtdorf in his "Forget Me Not" Women's Broadcast talk.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11