"Grace Is Not God's Backup Plan" - Adam Miller

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Ann

"Grace Is Not God's Backup Plan" - Adam Miller

Post by Ann »

"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: "Grace Is Not God's Backup Plan" - Adam Miller

Post by hawkgrrrl »

Ordered. Now I need to read it. I really liked his first book.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Putting in on the list - although I have to finish RSR and Wrestling the Angel first.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
LookingHard

Post by LookingHard »

Anybody else's stack of books to read getting a bit too tall?

That is one reason I love podcasts. Between driving to work and the long trips I have to drive for my job, I can listen to tens of hours of podcasts.

I have listened to conference, but the last year+ I listen to all of them live once and that is it.
SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed »

This book is interesting, it is Adam Miller doing his own tuning of Romans, but is seriously amazing. It caused me to reflect on grace on Christ in a much different way than I had in the past. Highly recommended.
mom3

Post by mom3 »

Just reading this one now. The introduction is intense in its own right. Am on Chapter 2. Will do a full review when I am finished. Mind blowing stuff. Not your typical LDS Grace. Nor anyone's really.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
amateurparent

Post by amateurparent »

We have been reading a chapter each night as a family. Interesting stuff.

I just looked up his bio .. Found out he teaches at a local college in our area. A local dude!
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl »

Since this got bumped again, I'll link to an article I did about it. I used his book as prep when I had to sub for GD on Romans. http://www.wheatandtares.org/19110/when ... romans-do/
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

This book is on my Christmas list. This would have been a good year to read it seeing as we did the NT in GD. The week we did Paul's thing about grace in Philippians there were clearly some old guards who did not get it even with reference to Uchtdorf's talk.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
mom3

Post by mom3 »

Small threadjack here -
The week we did Paul's thing about grace in Philippians there were clearly some old guards who did not get it even with reference to Uchtdorf's talk.
One of my personal frustrations with the present church climate and direction is the near abandonment of Uchtdorf's talk, including the top leadership. The new policy, the Sabbath retrenchment program, the less than stellar Women's Essays - much of this could be replaced with an energized focus on Grace, on God's greatest gift. Let the rest ride out a natural tide. Let mercy, Grace, and love be the main focus. I think it would do the church, the nation and the world a lot of good if the LDS leadership focused solidly on that.

Rant over. Return to the regularly scheduled topic.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman