Terryl Givens New Book

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
mom3

Terryl Givens New Book

Post by mom3 »

The book isn't out yet, but I have read 2 different reviews, and for us less main stream members this book looks to give us another grip to hang on to much like The God the Weeps did. This review is by Blair Hodges of Maxwell Institute and ByCommonConsent blogger.

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/book-no ... wrestling/
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Terryl Givens New Book

Post by Old-Timer »

I have heard very good things about it. If it is anywhere close to "The God Who Weeps", it will be excellent.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

I look forward to it. I am just finishing The God Who Weeps, and while I don't agree with every word I definitely agree with the gist of it. I recently learned that I may have the opportunity to hear Terryl and Fiona speak in the near future.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
mom3

Post by mom3 »

I agree Dark Jedi - I loved The God That Weeps - not every conclusion am I convinced of, but the crack in the veneer of our traditions is very hopeful for me. Like you I also have heard rumor that they may be coming to my local area in the near future. I really would love to hear them.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson »

Yes, I am excited for that one also.

At first I thought this post was about "The Crucible of Doubt" I have listened to part of their interview here and it sounds excellent.

http://mormonstories.org/fiona-and-terr ... -of-doubt/
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.
mom3

Post by mom3 »

Terryl Givens has a book called Wrestling the Angel. It is a book I want to read. I just read a review and Q&A on it. I thought I'd share the article with you. It's long it may take time to read, but there are lots of parts I like.

http://ldsmag.com/terryl-givens-foundat ... -theology/

startpoor

Terryl Givens New Book

Post by startpoor »

I just finished reading Crucible. I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone here. Short, beautifully written, and lots to chew on. We could make a years curriculum out of it.

Not going to write a full review here, but why I liked it: I suffer from an identity crisis within mormonism. Outwardly I'm very orthodox. However inwardly, I'm pretty much a non believer. After losing my testimony in JS, and seeing the church differently I tried to find "pure mormonism" which basically meant worship free of corporate baloney. This brought a severe amount of distrust and distaste for everything LDS and made me very antagonistic and hurt my spiritual relationship with my wife. Crucible lays out pure religion and mormonism's contribution to it and lays out how it makes religion relevant to a secular world. This is a more unifying and practical pureness.

The book didn't make me a believer, but is helping me find my identity again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

I want to bump this up again.
Has anyone read
Wrestling the angel
yet?
If yes, do you recommend it? And why
Last edited by Minyan Man on 19 Aug 2015, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
LookingHard

Post by LookingHard »

Minyan Man wrote:I want to bump this up again.
Has anyone read
Wrestling the angel
yet?
If yes, do you remmend it? And why
I have Crucible on my next book on my stack. I was waiting until I had some contiguous time to really study it.

I also have "the god who weaps", but not "Wrestling the Angel"