The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life (Terryl

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
mercyngrace

Re: The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life (Te

Post by mercyngrace » 20 Dec 2012, 15:52

I ordered The God Who Weeps for my husband. Which means I'll post a review in January once I get my turn at it. LOL :)
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 20 Dec 2012, 20:55

Teryl Givens to me is the perfect post faith crisis LDS. Check out his interviews on Mormonstories. He put the gospel in a beautiful way that makes it easy to buy in. In the interview in part 3 i believe he talsk about the church going into and coming out of the wilderness.....it's beautiful and worth every LDS's time no matter where on the spectrum you are. My favorite quote ------> "the church manuals are deplorable". He acknowledges the church is awesome but has a ways to go

mom3

Post by mom3 » 20 Dec 2012, 21:21

Db- I loved his Mormon Stories podcast. I was a huge Truman Madsen fan, and have missed him. Terryl Givens is quickly taking over that space. I know they are not synonomous but both of them could describe the gospel I saw better than anyone. I remember listening to Truman Madsen one time explain how gospel art doesn't do justice to events. Anyway - I am so glad Givens book was published and sold through Deseret Book. I am hoping it will be a better bridge than anything yet presented between traditional practicing members and liahona type members. We all could use the healing it could produce.

Mercy and Grace - I'm in the same boat. It's my husbands Christmas present. I have to wait in line.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

afterall

Post by afterall » 30 Dec 2012, 17:58

I am reading this now. It is so profound that I am having to read it slowly, which is unusual for me. There is so much food for thought and so much stated so beautifully. This book is a good read for anyone. I have someone in my life who is really struggling with belief. I think this person will be happy to read this book since it is not a preachy book and leaves room for exploration of thought. Great recommend!

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 06 Jan 2013, 15:56

So I did get for christmas... I just need to stop posting on these blessed boards to make some reading time...

eman

Post by eman » 06 Jan 2013, 16:58

Currently reading and all I can say is beautiful. I'm only in chapter 1 or 2 and already highly recommend this to everyone!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
-
“I want the liberty of thinking and believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammelled. It does not prove that a man is not a good man because he errs in doctrine.” (Joseph Smith, Discourse to Saints, April 1843; DHC 5:340)

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 14 Jan 2013, 07:15

Having had it sat on my bedside table for a few weeks I finally picked it up this morning. Wow! And I'm only in the introduction.

I'm going to post a few favourite quotes, but would strongly recommend getting your own copy.

"Whether we consider the whole (earth/universe) a product of impersonal cosmic forces, a malevolent deity, or a benevolent god, depends not on the evidence, but on what we choose, deliberately and consciously, to conclude from that evidence."

eman

Post by eman » 14 Jan 2013, 13:50

Here's a few of my favorite quotes so far.
Faith often asks us to turn a blind eye to the incongruities and inconsistencies of belief in the divine. But reason comes up short as well in accounting for those moments of deepest love and yearning, of unspeakable calm in the midnight of anguish, of the shards of light visible to the inner eye alone
A supreme deity would no more gift us with intellect and expect us to forsake it in moments of bafflement, than He would fashion us eyes to see and bid us shut them to the stars.
What we choose to embrace, to be responsive to, is the purest reflection of who we are and what we love
The greatest act of self-revelation occurs when we choose what we will believe, in that space of freedom that exists between knowing that a thing is, and knowing that a thing is not.
Gratitude is an illogical response to a world that never had us in mind as an audience; but it is the fitting tribute to an original Creator who anticipated our joy and participates fully in it
Again, highly recommend this book!
-
“I want the liberty of thinking and believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammelled. It does not prove that a man is not a good man because he errs in doctrine.” (Joseph Smith, Discourse to Saints, April 1843; DHC 5:340)

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 14 Feb 2013, 08:51

Yes, just getting into it from what I see I HIGHLY recommend it to any "thinker" personality, and maybe everyone else as well.

If you are looking for a model of "mature" faith, this book is as good as anything else I've seen.

I was recently reading reviews of a modern "anti" book that calls the church a cult and fraud -- if those arguments were put up against the type of faith bro. Givens outlines they would fall totally deflated.

Read this book! :clap: :thumbup: :mrgreen:
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 18 Feb 2013, 08:29

I have just finished reading it all the way through.

It needs to be the fifth part of the standard works!

I don't often mark books, but I had to re-sharpen the red pencil I was using as so much is a highlight.

I feel I've discovered a new understanding of the significance of the clarity of Joseph's theology.

The word restoration is probably a good one because through whatever process actually happened, the output is a clarification and distillation of some of the ponderings and deep thinking of the past 3000 years.

It addresses the big questions of life and why it is the way it is. It embraces life and its opportunities and identifies the pure purposes.

It has so many wonderful quotes and sources that paints a picture of universalism.

It also has several parts that should help the complacent mormon remember they don't have a "heavenly hall pass."

It is, in a word, brilliant.