The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life (Terryl

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
SamBee

Re: The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life (Te

Post by SamBee » 18 Feb 2013, 12:28

Been very impressed by Givens work. But I thought Terryl was a woman's name! Maybe I'm thinking of Daryl Hannah.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Origami

The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life (Terryl

Post by Origami » 16 Apr 2013, 15:36

I read this book recently and thought it was very good. Some very thought provoking concepts, I am going to re-read and take notes this time around. I substituted this for Sunday School attendance for a few weeks, it was a very good trade for me.

I'd recommend this book to anyone, it is good.

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 28 Apr 2013, 20:27

Great book written from an honest perspective. I found it very refreshing after reading Gerald Lund's dogmatic analysis of the Spirit in "Hearing the Voice of the Lord". :yawn:
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Apr 2013, 08:08

I just want to point out that, while I like and am drawn more to the Givens' perspective, I am quite certain Lund's is just as "honest".

People really do see things differently, and it's REALLY important to recognize and accept that simple fact. So many times when people feel lied to, it's nothing more than a manifestation that people's minds really do work differently.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 29 Apr 2013, 13:44

Ray Degraw wrote:I just want to point out that, while I like and am drawn more to the Givens' perspective, I am quite certain Lund's is just as "honest".
I concede. "Honest" may not have been the best wording. I suppose all I was getting at was that the Givens' perspective seems more vulnerable, less "knowing" and more "this is how we feel about the evidence (or lack thereof)." Like you said, I just see things differently I guess.

(posting the following to a new thread) viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4212
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

pentium3

Post by pentium3 » 15 Jul 2013, 16:45

While reading The God Who Weep,s as I read certain paragraphs I would feel my heart race with a sense of joy. I would be sitting as I read but find myself standing. When I read this sentence in particular " If God takes as much care with the destinies of human souls as with the planets they inhabit, surely they too gain in splendor and glory through the cycles of eternity" I wanted to shout for joy. Never has any teaching rung truer to my heart than that of eternal progression. The idea that my many inactive loved ones won't be condemned to a lesser heaven with visitation rights only from those who made it higher, makes my soul sing. The fact that this book is sold at Deseret Book gives me hope that I won't be alone in embracing this idea. This teaching illustrates the God I love and worship. My heart and mind came together as I internalized the idea of a more effective plan of salvation than what I have previously thought. I have to believe that the feeling that seemed like an adrenalin rush as I read portions from this book, was the spirit confirming to me that this is truth. As I work through my faith crisis, the teaching of eternal progression gives me the hope I need to keep going.

dash1730

Post by dash1730 » 06 Jul 2014, 16:01

Thanks to this blog I discovered this book, and just finished reading it.

I am blown away by its explanation of How Mormonism makes sense of life. While little of it was new to me, Givens masterfully pulled together many disparate teachings and made them into a solidly coherent Gospel (neither of which the Correlation Committee has been able to do.)

Givens skillfully spans his the breadth of subject while still plumbing its depths. Free agency, pain and suffering, Fall of Adam, Atonement, Godly love and sorrow, sin, eternal progression, the justice to infants who die and adults who never had the opportunity to learn of Christ, etc.

One of my favorite passages:
Guilt is how we know we are free to choose.
Nothing else we can say about our identities is as certain or fundamental. We are not born good or evil. We are born free. We may feel the prick of conscience, the demands of duty, the weight of heredity, all guiding us through--or onto—the shoals of life. Still, we are free to regard our circumstances, and to respond to our predicament, in accordance with a set of desires we have the power to school and shape.

Our lives are more like a canvas on which we paint, than a script we need to learn—through the illusion of the latter appeals to us by its lower risk. It is easier to learn a part than create a work of art. The mystery is, how can I be free to shape my own desires, how can I be responsible for the inclinations of my heart, for my tendency to love light or darkness, if God created my spirit out of nothing, calling me into existence by His sovereign power, only at the moment of my birth or conception?
I may not walk the straight and narrow, but I try to cross it as often as I can.
---J Golden Kimball

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 06 Jul 2014, 16:04

Thanks for that quote - beautiful and true I think.

ps Was just thinking about you ;)
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."