The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life (Terryl

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 13 Nov 2012, 04:58

This isn't a review, more a request for reviews.

My brother is aware I'm struggling a bit (not the full extent) and recommended this book the other day. He'd read it and praised it thoroughly.

I've a lot of time for Terryl Givens so may buy it anyway, but would welcome other views.

Here's the publisher's blurb:
""Whether by design or by chance," Terryl and Fiona Givens write, "we find ourselves in a universe filled with mystery. We encounter appealing arguments for a Divinity that is a childish projection, for prophets as scheming or deluded imposters, and for scripture as so much fabulous fiction. But there is also compelling evidence that a glorious Divinity presides over the cosmos, that His angels are strangers we have entertained unawares, and that His word and will are made manifest through a sacred canon that is never definitively closed. What we choose to embrace, to be responsive to, is the purest reflection of who we are and what we love. That is why faith, the choice to believe, is in the final analysis, an action that is positively laden with moral significance."

As humans, we are, like the poet John Keats, "straining at particles of light in the midst of a great darkness." And yet, the authors describe a version of life's meaning that is reasonable—and radically resonant. It tells of a God whose heart beats in sympathy with ours, who set His heart upon us before the world was formed, who fashioned the earth as a place of human ascent, not exile, and who has the desire and the capacity to bring the entire human family home again."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life (Te

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Nov 2012, 14:08

I have heard excellent things about this book but haven't read it yet.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ann

Post by Ann » 13 Nov 2012, 14:56

I ordered the book. . . . can't remember if there's a reason it's taking awhile. DBMormon posted "Terryl Givens - Letter to a Doubter" on October 18th and there were some responses there to Givens' ideas. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on the new book.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 13 Nov 2012, 15:17

Ann wrote:I ordered the book. . . . can't remember if there's a reason it's taking awhile. DBMormon posted "Terryl Givens - Letter to a Doubter" on October 18th and there were some responses there to Givens' ideas. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on the new book.
The letter to a doubter is excellent. It's getting lots of buzz in the 'bloggernacle' (what a funny word, I'd not even heard of it until my faith challenges).

I also appreciated his balanced comments in the PBS documentary.

Kumahito

Post by Kumahito » 02 Dec 2012, 15:54

Just finished this book, and I love it. It comes from a very "Liahona" perspective rather than a TBM "Iron Rodder." I'd recommend it to anyone, but particularly to other Liahonas.
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
- Oscar Wilde

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Dec 2012, 16:42

Just for a little background, the book was written after Bro. Givens made a comment about Deseret Book being a barren wasteland of spiritual pablum - or something with that basic meaning. One of the top leaders of Deseret Book heard about the statement and asked Bro. Givens personally to write something that didn't match that description so DB could publish it.

As I've said, I see quite a few things that indicate an attempt to cause a cultural change in the Church, and the way this book came to be written and published is one of them.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 02 Dec 2012, 19:52

My husband and I were discussing this book today I told him I thought it might be even more impactful to traditional believing members then some of us who have already begun a reconstruction of our fundamental beliefs. I see that as a very necessary in road. I think Brother Givens has been working for a while to affect the direction the stream is running. Five or six years ago we were visiting my in-laws who live in Utah, I picked up a paper that had an article about an address Givens gave at Education Week or a Symposium, anyway he was putting his beliefs out even then. He referenced that Joseph Smith was struggling to define where on the religious map Mormonism fell. In one sense we were clearly different, in another we sounded very much like many of the other denominations. He used the articles of faith as his reference point. I remember liking his thinking when I read it. At that time I had no idea about disaffections, etc.

I wish Brother Givens much success.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 02 Dec 2012, 21:57

I've got it, read first chapter and so far so good.

I'm also reading Why I Stay, which is awesome - I heartily recommend it to everyone here.

Kumahito

Post by Kumahito » 02 Dec 2012, 22:35

Ray Degraw wrote:Just for a little background, the book was written after Bro. Givens made a comment about Deseret Book being a barren wasteland of spiritual pablum - or something with that basic meaning. One of the top leaders of Deseret Book heard about the statement and asked Bro. Givens personally to write something that didn't match that description so DB could publish it.
Ray, I heard the same thing - it was from a newspaper article interviewing Brother Givens. He told the story himself, and said it was Sherri Dew from DB he was speaking with. He said he was actually pleasantly suprised that DB published it.
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
- Oscar Wilde

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 18 Dec 2012, 09:28

This is on my christmas wish-list. Here's hoping!