Mormondiscussion Podcast

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
DBMormon

Re: Mormondiscussion Podcast

Post by DBMormon » 26 Dec 2015, 14:33

LookingHard wrote:I have listened and this is quite interesting. I am interested in their possessing peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are on facebook and you can message them on their blog as well. You should reach out to them. They are genuine good people

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 02 Mar 2016, 19:45

Lots of NEW episodes. This one is one I wish would make its rounds as I care so much for those being hurt.

Are There Homosexuals in Heaven

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/

Today I wrestle with the recent commentary of Elder Bednar on Homosexuality. I am sorry if I am too harsh or if my criticisms are unfair. I welcome anyone in Church authority to sit down with me and others and work through the data and questions that are out there that no one in leadership is addressing. These are begging to be asked. The Church’s answers and commentary are insufficient on this issue and it feels that the real questions begging to be asked are being ignored or changed.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 09 May 2016, 20:24

FRAUD or DIVINE????
***NEW**** EPISODE!!!

211: Fraudulent Narrative of the Book of Mormon
http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... of-mormon/

The Book of Mormon is a fraud you say? Joseph Made it up or stole the ideas from someone else? If only it were that simple. Today I sit down with two friends, Chris and Clay. We talk about ways in which to corroborate a fraudulent narrative of the Book of Mormon. Who could have been involved and how the narrative would have to flow based on who is in on it and who is being duped along with what it should look like if Joseph is truly plagiarizing sources to create a fictional work. Is “The Book of Mormon” a fake? Maybe… that conclusion certainly is reasonable. Yet, as we explore in today’s episode, to create a coherent historical narrative that explains the ins and outs of how such a hoax could be pulled off seems to have just as many issues if not more than simply believing in the divine nature of the book. The witnesses, Emma, Rigdon, Spaulding, View of the Hebrews, Late War, Savant, Genius, Photographic memory, and everything in between is explored in just over an hour…….. Is there room for faith?…… the choice was always yours!

And the naysayers said I was getting to critical. The critics say I am too faithful and can't figure why I stay. The orthodox say I have lost my way....... I am think that is called balanced and reasonable.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 21 Jun 2016, 19:52

220: Patrick Mason – Planted

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... n-planted/

You want validation? You want someone who gets just how messy this is and to say so publicly? You wish there were scholars who went just a little further to acknowledge the struggle being had in Mormonism...... Welcome Patrick Mason

Today I sit down with Patrick Mason, LDS scholar and author of the new book “Planted”. We talk about doubt, the struggle that a faith transition is. We talk about the messiness of issues and what is needed for us to better support our struggling brothers and sisters. Patrick takes on all questions and pulls no punches. This is as honest and authentic as anyone I have had on the podcast. If you do nothing else, purchase planted and read chapter 1 and give it to those whose support you need. From the first Chapter he deals empathetically and honestly with both the doubter and the person who loves and supports them. What an amazing interview….. I hope you like it.

Weaselgirl

Post by Weaselgirl » 22 Jun 2016, 11:34

I listened to the podcast this morning and really enjoyed it. It calmed me down a bit. :smile:

unsure

Post by unsure » 22 Jun 2016, 11:40

Listened to it last night. Slowly been listening to different things on the site when i have time. Enjoying them all so far, thanks.

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 23 Jun 2016, 11:08

Thank you for the Patrick Mason podcast. I already read his book (Planted), but didn't really get that much help from it. However, I really enjoyed the podcast and I thought it was great!
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 30 Jun 2016, 08:47

221: First Vision – The Founding Event Of The Restoration

You want an in-depth deep dive into the first vision narrative..... here it is
I sit down with Chris and Clay again and this time we are dissecting the First Vision and all that surrounds it. We talk about the four First Hand accounts and their discrepancies as well as similarities. We explore the historical context of each account, who the audience is, what factors into why Joseph perhaps shapes each account the way he does. We talk about the valid reasons to see contradictions and why some lose faith but we also “lead with faith” showing that their are valid and serious ways to tackle this issue that actually build faith in Joseph and in the sincerity of his “First Vision”.

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org

Roy

Post by Roy » 04 Jul 2016, 13:36

Thanks Bill for sharing this podcast.

I very much see the first vision as a vision presented to the mind of JS. I further believe that the appearance of the Angel Moroni was visionary. Finally, I believe that the gold plates themselves were visionary.

I believe that the lines that we in modern times would draw between vision and visitation were not as clear and distinct to Joseph and his contemporaries.

A few points on each.

First Vision:

1) It is called a vision. 2) Joseph came to himself and was lying on his back as though he was not fully awake/aware before. 3) There are some discrepancies between the accounts that are more forgivable if they were visionary and dreamlike and ethereal. 4) The doctrine of the Godhead definitely evolved from that point. I believe it was the evolution of this doctrine that informs our telling and interpretation of the fist vision. I do not believe that from the moment JS had the vision that he disbelieved the trinity. 5) We have many witnesses to the receiving of D&C 76, a.k.a. "the vision". If that experience is any precedent, then a vision can be understood as something appearing to the mind or "in the mind's eye" that would not be visible to other people present in the same room.

Moroni:

1) Moroni seems to descend through the ceiling of the small family home.
2) Nobody else woke up to the light or the conversation happening in the room.
3) Bill, you had mentioned that JS was physically exhausted from his experience but it was also reported after the D&C 76 revelation that Sidney Rigdon was exhausted. It appears that seeing visions can in and of itself be exhausting.
4) In some church publications this is referred to as a vision. It appears that regardless of whether or not Moroni was himself a vision that other visionary experiences were being shown to Joseph in conjunction with the words of Moroni. Thus, when JS reports "commanded me to go to my father and tell him of the vision and commandments which I had received." it is left ambiguous what JS included in the word vision.
5) We have precedence of heavenly messengers appearing and even bestowing priesthood keys through visions. D&C 110 states: "After rising from prayer, the following vision was opened to both of us." and "The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened."
6) Prior to receiving the plates and translating the BoM, JS would "amuse his family with tales of the Nephites "as though he had spent his whole life among them." One possible explanation for this is that Joseph had seen the happenings of the ancient Nephites in vision at his annual tutorial sessions with Moroni at the Hill Cumorah.
http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith/% ... nhabitants

Golden Plates:

1) After JS removes the plates for the first time and then sets them on the ground (in disobedience to the command of Moroni) then they disappear and then reappear back in the stone box. This is outside my realm of experience. 2) JS translates using the stone in the hat method without the plates being physically present. (Hypothetically, if JS could see the rise and fall of the Nephite nation through vision or through vision could read and translate ancient records that were not present in the room then why go to all the trouble of retrieving the plates from the hill in the first place. It seems to me that to keep them hidden there would have been the safest place for them.) 3) With the BoA and the Book of Moses, JS later displays his ability to retrieve prophetic/visionary text from ancient sources without any source text being physically present in front of JS. 4) The experience with the cave and the room filled with records in the Hill Cumorah seems to very unlikely to be physically true. There as several theories but I believe that the best one is that it was a purely visionary experience.

Finally, The modern church would have us posit that these experiences either physically happened or they didn't - that JS was a prophet who was physically visited by God and Jesus or he was a liar - all true or all false. This just doesn't square with my nuanced understanding of church history. I believe that JS had visions not terribly unlike some of his contemporaries. I believe that he felt called to form a church that has been the cause of much good (some bad too but also much good). It is my journey and effort to stay LDS that compels me to see these things through the lens of visions and mysticism. It is the grey area between the false dichotomy.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 21 Sep 2016, 07:25

I hate to step out in front of Bill on this, but I have to say that he just released a very interesting podcast on the Adam God "historical subterfuge" (or "Adam God doctrine / theory").

Adam God Historical Subterfuge

He is interviewing Corbin Volluz who is someone that I really love the logic that he has along with his study. There is also a really interesting comment from KarlS about the leaked letter (listen to the podcast first and then it will make more sense.)

Bill - accept my apology if I am overstepping by announcing this. I am just so excited. I am going to listen to this again.