Mormondiscussion Podcast

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Ann

Re: Mormondiscussion Podcast

Post by Ann » 27 Oct 2015, 10:21

DBMormon wrote:Image

166 Thomas Wirthlin McConkie: Developmental Map

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/

Today we sit down with LDS author Thomas Wirthlin McConkie. We discuss at length his book “Navigating Mormon Faith Crisis”. In his book he helps the reader see the Faith Development Map that allows for healthier smoorth transitions. We cover what a faith crisis feels like, how other react to it, and how we might might make it work in a softer healthier way.

His webite is MormonStages.com and his book can be purchased directly from his site.

Just listened, DB. Thank you so much for doing this interview! He has great insights and a good way of communicating them.

I don't usually say things like this, but if anybody reading can drop what they're doing for an hour, I'd love to hear your thoughts. You could add them to the thread a couple weeks back, "T.W. McConkie's 'gamechanging' book..." For the curious - I know I was - his great-uncle is Bruce R. and Joseph Wirthlin was his grandfather. He left the church as a teenager and is in his mid-30's now.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7023
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 15 Nov 2015, 10:14

2 part series - I think these are both really good though part 2 is by far the best in my mind

Emotional Gut Punch
http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... gut-punch/
part 1 I talk about my emotional angst with the last weeks fiasco

- Today Chris Bloxham sits down to discuss the emotioal roller coaster ride that the last 7 days have been. How leading with faith is getting near impossible and Cynicism abounds. I don’t have all the answers today and and I no longer know where all this leads but I have always tried to be authentic and so welcome to my world. This is part 1 of a 2 part series. In Part 2 we invite a listener to join us and take a analytical look at the problems with this handbook fiasco.

Handbooks, Policies, and Sleight of Hand
http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... t-of-hand/
part two we have a panel discussion about the timeline of events and my belief that the brethren were deceptive.

- Today Chris Bloxham returns to talk to me and one of my listeners Clay as we take this policy change apart every step of the way. This may be one of the best episodes yet on Mormon Discussion as we try to make sense of this public relations nightmare.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 15 Nov 2015, 11:18

I am already hurting and it hurts to hear how you are hurting. You have helped me in the past and I wish I could return the favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 Nov 2015, 17:17

LookingHard wrote:I am already hurting and it hurts to hear how you are hurting. You have helped me in the past and I wish I could return the favor.
Thank you for sharing your struggles on this issue Bill. I fell likewise. I just want my perspective to have a place a the table. God bless each of us in our efforts. :angel:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 25 Nov 2015, 22:46

169 Robert Kirby: Pancake Sunday
Today I sit down with the Salt Lake Tribunes’s funny man Robert Kirby. We talk about his life, how he ended up at the Tribune, how he has handled his own faith transition, and lastly we discuss pancakes. We hit on his humor as a tool and coping mechanism in his life and what his thoughts are on more serious issues.
I hope you enjoy…. oh…. and yeah….. pass the syrup!

168 Perspectives – Richard Bushman
In a new “Perspectives” series, Bill Reel from Mormon Discussion Podcast sits down with various LDS Authors and Scholars to ask them each the same questions of how they frame their belief in the gospel. What does it mean that the Church is true, that the Book of Mormon is true, what is scripture, and what is the role of a prophet. Today we sit down with LDS scholar and author Richard Bushman and get his take. I think you will find this interview to tackle new ground and offer groundwork along the nuanced path. Follow along as Richard shows us a life that “leads with Faith”

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 26 Nov 2015, 05:58

I really enjoyed the Robert Kirby interview. I too love humor (I think it is the only way I keep 1/2 sane).

Bushman said something interesting. He said when people come to him with a faith crisis he used to ask what the issues were. Now he asks what is their relationship with God (or was it Christ?) and if they say, "I am good with that" then he is fine. I am trying to figure that statement out.

It does jive with another comment I have heard of Dr. Bushman. Someone asked him about how many that leave the LDS faith don't just leave Mormonism, but become atheists. He said it was a poor reflection on Mormonism not leading people to first have a relationship with Christ.

Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey » 26 Nov 2015, 09:44

Bill, absolute home-run interview with columnist Robert Kirby! A must listen for anyone that is interested in StayingLDS. You sounded like you were having so much fun and were able to really draw great conversation from him that I have heard nowhere else. Robert Kirby undoubtedly belongs on the Mount Rushmore of StayLDS-ers.
Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. ...You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. ~Martin Luther King Jr.

“You have to carry the fire."I don't know how to."Yes, you do."Is the fire real? The fire? "Yes it is."Where is it? I don't know where it is." Yes you do. It's inside you. It always was there. I can see it.”― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 06 Dec 2015, 09:09

171 – PERSPECTIVES: Adam S. Miller​
Following up on our ‘Perspectives’ Series, we sit down with Adam Miller. Adam is the Author of “Rube Goldberg’s Machine”, “Letters to a Young Mormon”, and “Grace is not God’s Backup Plan”.

Adam offers his thoughts and expresses his ruminations on Mormonism and how he makes some of the difficult issues work and the hard work that goes into reconciling them.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 21 Dec 2015, 07:53

173: A Blog About Love

Today I sit down with Danny and Mara Kofoed. We talk about how to find your inner peace. We talk about their faith journeys and how life’s trials taught them important lessons on how to find peace amidst difficulties in life. They hit on why we sometimes cause ourselves to suffer so needlessly and they hep us to understand how, if we desire, we can let go of much of that angst and begin to find true inner peace. We also talk about their blog ABlogAboutLove.com They also hold retreats to help others find this inner peace along with mentoring.

I want to add a note. I was made aware of Danny and Mara by two really good friends of mine who attended one their retreats. These two dear friends have shared with me this has made a world of difference. Having now spoken to the Kofoed’s at length I can say their effort comes from a place of love and concern and I hope hear them out as our community needs nothing more right now than peace and healing.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 21 Dec 2015, 13:13

I have listened and this is quite interesting. I am interested in their possessing peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk