Mormondiscussion Podcast

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
DBMormon

Re: Mormondiscussion Podcast

Post by DBMormon » 05 Jul 2015, 20:14

150: Seth Bryant: Community of Christ

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/

Today we sit down with Community of Christ Assistant Pastor Seth Bryant. We talk about the common faith tradition, the shift from the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to the Community of Christ (CoC). We hit on the Priesthood, Women’s ordination, LGBT inclusiveness, their view of scripture, Mormon myths of the CoC, and talk about the flexibility that is found today in the CoC’s teachings and Theology.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 19 Jul 2015, 05:28

I am sure DBMormon is going to come and mention his latest podcast that he released, but I just have to say it was one of the best at explaining why some people are "TBM" and some are disaffected. I am not sure where we fit into this (maybe we are just a bit less emotionally driven and a bit more logic driven)

This does a good job covering the alleged reasons people leave (and stay) and argues these are contributing factors - not the core reason. Then it goes on to take a theory about marriage relationships and uses the basis of that to explain why some people stay or leave.

I found it to be one of the best descriptions I have seen to explain why some people leave and some stay.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 19 Jul 2015, 08:06

Glad you enjoyed it.... here it is!

152: Steven Garff: Gottman’s Ratio

Today we sit down with Steven Garff, a listener to the podcast, and discuss why people leave the Church. We examine the age old reasons and dismiss them one by one as unsatisfactory as a overarching explanation. We then delve into a theory that does explain the whole and how it impacts the question of why some leave and why some stay in the Church? Please take a listen as I think Steve has hit on the truth of the matter. It may require our letting go of a false assumption or two but it’s affects will be worth their weight in gold.

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... ottman.jpg

Roy

Post by Roy » 20 Jul 2015, 10:23

I too really enjoyed the podcast on Gottman's Ratio.

It is a helpful reminder for me to question my own filter. Am I perceiving such and such church interaction negatively because I am in Negative Sentiment Override. I need to be careful not to dismiss what is happening now (such as a reactivation effort for example) and the motives behind it because of how it might fit into my narrative of the church.

I would love to see further research on this subject!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 21 Jul 2015, 15:08

Roy wrote:I too really enjoyed the podcast on Gottman's Ratio.
+1 Me too! This was the best explanation that I've heard of why some stay and why some leave and debunked a lot of the common reasons we hear for people that stay or leave. Thanks DB!
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 25 Jul 2015, 06:57

153: Female Ordination?

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org

Today I sit down with two great friends of mine: Suzette Smith and Chris Bloxham. We talk about the possibility of female ordination. What would it look like? Why is ordination important to some sisters in the Church? Would female ordination be the same as male ordination – or something different? We take a look at how LDS women have accessed Priesthood power throughout the church’s history – and how they might access it today. Finally, what about Heavenly Mother and how might she be connected to the Godhead? All this in less than an hour so buckle up and hold on tight!!!

Suzette also has agreed to begin a podcast series (as part of Mormon Discussions) that will discuss these different aspects of ordination in depth. So, be looking forward to future contributions from her.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 30 Jul 2015, 06:53

154: D Michael Quinn: Special Witness

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/

Today I sit down with Mormon Historian, D. Michael Quinn. We talk about his excommunication, his still powerful belief in the Mormonism and the Restoration. He explains his literal belief in Gold Plates, an angel Moroni, and in Joseph Smith as a actual prophet. We also hit on Revelatory Walking Sticks, Magic in the Mormon World, his blessing from Spencer W. Kimball that he would someday be an Apostle, and various other interesting stops along the way. This is a can’t Miss episode.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 16 Aug 2015, 07:54

156: Randal Wright: The Book of Mormon Miracle
http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org

Today we sit down with Randal Wright and discuss his book “The Book Of Mormon Miracle: 25 Reasons to Believe”. We talk about the miracle that is the Book of Mormon. Bro. Wright gives plenty of reason to have faith and hold faithful ground.
Randal A. Wright obtained a PhD in Family Studies from Brigham Young University. He worked with the Church Educational System for many years as an institute Director and taught in the religion department at BYU. He is the founder of lifemission4u.com. He has been a frequent speaker to adults at Know Your Religion and Campus Education Week and has spoken regularly to the youth at Especially for Youth and youth conferences throughout the United States, Canada and England. He and his Wife Wendy are the parents of five married children and have sixteen grandchildren. Randal A. Wright is a fifth generation Texan.

Roy

Post by Roy » 17 Aug 2015, 13:53

Just listened to the podcast with Bro. Quinn and felt that it was interesting and informative.
DBMormon wrote:He explains his literal belief in Gold Plates, an angel Moroni, and in Joseph Smith as a actual prophet.
I do have a bit of a question on this. In listening Bro. Quinn talked about believing in the reality of "mystical" experiences that "defy description" for the person having them. He used the word "intent" to describe the honest mindset of the people relaying these experiences. He said that he believed in the angel that was sometimes called Moroni, other times Nephi, and still other times Mormon. He compared these experiences to the mystical experiences of Joan of Arc and 3 other mystics that Bro. Quinn mentioned but that I was generally unfamiliar with. He also compared it to his own personal experience about having felt a burning in the bosom and knowing his experience to be true even when he later came to realize that not every honest seeker of truth will have the same experience. He mentioned that some that claim these experiences are insane and some that claim these experiences are charlatans but "the insanity and deceptions of some do not invalidate the reality of others."

In taking these statement as a whole - I speculate that Bro. Quinn is talking about items, and persons, and visions, and experiences of the realm of mysticism that may not be well observable and quantifiable by the hard sciences. He seems to be saying that these experiences, though somewhat subjective, are still very real. I honor and respect his perspective. However, I do not know if this is the same thing as what most members would think of in having a "literal belief in Gold Plates" and the "angel Moroni."

Perhaps Bro. Quinn would say that we have as a society moved too far towards what can be objectively proven. Bro. Bushman said something to the effect that it does not matter much whether it happened in a time and place or in a mind and heart - what matters is that it happened.

Does this sound like a fair analysis of what Bro. Quinn said?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 23 Aug 2015, 09:16

I think that is fair