Mormondiscussion Podcast

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
DBMormon

Mormondiscussion Podcast

Post by DBMormon » 24 Aug 2012, 19:21

mormondiscussion.podbean.com

My latest podcast is up. I would like on a small scale to try and tackle what mormonstories does but from a more faithful perspective. I am wondering several things.

1.) Do many of you listen to Podcasts? What niche is not among them that would interest you?

2.) What you think of my podcast? What could I do differently? How can I be better?

3.) I want to capture faith crisis in a way that is a comfort to others in similar situations. While I am trying to keep a faithful perspective I would love to interview all ends of the spectrum. Anyone interested in doing an interview?
we would follow your outline closely and I promise to respect you. I also promise when the interview is over if there is something said you wish to take back I will absolutely respect that.

4.) You help me broaden my reach by liking my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LDSLeadership
or share my podcast page mormondiscussion.podbean.com

I want to do an interview bad... any takers?

cwald

Re: Mormondiscussion Podcast

Post by cwald » 24 Aug 2012, 19:27

Jwald does not want me to do the interview at this time. Extended family reasons...they just can't handle my faith evolution, and she thinks it would cause another firestorm. Sorry. Maybe later this year?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 24 Aug 2012, 19:28

To any who this even cathes the attention of just a little

willing to change voices, delete things you wished you had not said, follow an outline given by you with little deviation

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 24 Aug 2012, 23:09

I am a podcast junkie, so I listened to your podcast. It was efficient, from a faithful perspective. I am sure for a believer it had some merit. But I am sceptic and do not put much stock in religious doctrine so we are not even starting from the same point. You spoke of faith and how it works. I believe faith in a religious setting is a concept we have developed to employ when we have no tangible evidence.

So would I do a podcast? Sure but I doubt I would have anything to contribute to a believer. Best they do not talk to me if they want to continue on the path they are on.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

cwald

Post by cwald » 24 Aug 2012, 23:32

Fwiw I would love to hear a podcast with Spock. Absolutely.

The DA, Way, m&g, SD, ray, Heber, orson, Mike, mom3, Kong, F4H1, katspur, flower, Doug, GB, CG, Tom Hawes , brown, brian, sundance etc etc.

Hell, I would love to hear a podcast from a number of stayldsers.

I'm skeptical of MDDB and apologist in general. But I think the good Bishop is sincere and honest. I would do it...will do it eventually...but, as we preach here, I have to go slow and its just not the right time for jwald.

Did I ever tell you what my somewhat normal brother told me in regards to talking with the WP journalist? "I will take your calls, but don't bother calling home."

I haven't.

And they have not called me since they published the article.

Isolation from the tribe is a terrible price to have to pay.

Good luck DB. There are many many good folk here who can help you on you quest with getting out your message of moderation and tolerance and the Big Tent via podcast.

I will let you know when my journey is ready for an interview.

Until then, I hope you will perhaps find some takers on this site who have more guts than I do.

Out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by Anonymous on 25 Aug 2012, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 25 Aug 2012, 04:52

Cadence wrote:
So would I do a podcast? Sure but I doubt I would have anything to contribute to a believer. Best they do not talk to me if they want to continue on the path they are on.
I still find benefit in two people having a discussion about how they both went through the dark night and both being able to share with each other how they got to opposite ends of the spectrum and still both can walk away friends and still hold their position would have a bunch of value.

1.) It shows their is more then one outcome
2.) It lets them know they are not alone
3.) Even if someone believes something strongly, you are still free to make you own conclusion
4.) For the faithful they will pick up on the fact that I as a faithful member didn't cast you out, that I wrapped my arms around you and still allowed you and I to be to still be friends

If it interest you email me an outline of your story, something that can at least cover an hour or more. Tell me what angles you want to hit it from and what angles are off limits and then we would go from there.

That goes for anyone else as well

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 25 Aug 2012, 07:35

I could help you out with the podcast or be interviewed sometime. Sounds like a cool idea. I'll try to get some time to listen to it this weekend. There's definitely some empty space on the faithful end of the spectrum as far as podcasts go.

FAIR does/did some, but I don't seem to see them advertised or promoted ... or maybe i'm just not in places where they tried to advertise. I listened to one or two that Blair Hodges produced (like one he did on the history of race in Mormonism). It was good. He lives around here in my area, and i've met him a few times.

The only other one I can think of that is more prominent is The Cultural Hall podcast which is on the faithful end. But it seems more like a morning talk show style. The guy who produces it is a radio DJ in SLC for his normal day job, so it's along that style. It's good though. But a lot of times deals more with popular culture, and not so much with religion directly.
AKA Valoel
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 25 Aug 2012, 08:10

Brian - An interview with you would be awesome. I only started the podcast a couple of weeks ago, already have a 100 visits so it is picking up and because I do not discuss this stuff with ward or stake members it is all people I do not know personally. Would love to talk to you about how you got this site started and your own journey and advice for others who struggle. Let me know what I can do to land you?

For those reading this thread.... I am also working on podcast where I dubbing in my thoughts during segments of another church "revealing the truth" on our church. They have a lot wrong and I wanted to show newer members what to watch out for in the wrold of critical work on our church. There are a dozen or so good arguments and difficult issues but there are 100's of bad arguments and this program was full of the bad ones. So I kindly and courteously point out why where they miss the mark.

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 25 Aug 2012, 09:36

It sounds like a great idea. I have looonged for something from a faithful perspective to refer good members to when they are near someone who enters a crisis of faith. Most members have no idea what is going on or how to handle it. Often just knowing that it is very common these days seems to help a lot.

I'll be listening and looking forward to some good work! :thumbup:
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 25 Aug 2012, 11:28

I'd be happy to participate. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken