The Power of Myth, Jospeh Campbell and Bill Moyers

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Rix

Re: The Power of Myth, Jospeh Campbell and Bill Moyers

Post by Rix »

Heber13 wrote:Hmmm...no, the one I read was a small paperback book maybe 200 pages or less, easy to read in a week or so.

It was the conversation between Moyers and Campbell.
Mine too. I also enjoyed the video...the graphics were great!
Überzeugungen sind oft die gefährlichsten Feinde der Wahrheit.
[Certainty (that one is correct) is often the most dangerous enemy of the
truth.] - Friedrich Nietzsche

God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that. -- Joseph Campbell
Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws »

Sigh, back to the library. Mine is a conversation style like a transcript of the program.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com
Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 »

Haws, b4 you go back, you may have the right one, maybe just hardcover. The one I read was also the transcript.

I don't know how else to explain it, other than tell you it was like this one I saw on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Myth-Illust ... 841&sr=1-1
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
just me

Post by just me »

Tom, you have the same one I read. I think it is called large print or something. But the book was large and hardcover. It took me weeks to get through because I was reading other books at the same time (and moving).
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb
Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws »

Heber13 wrote:this one I saw on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Myth-Illust ... 841&sr=1-1
Yeah. That's mine. Whew. I just have the coffee table version.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Some good quotes from Campbell's Pathways to Bliss (another Campbell gem):

"The way to find your own myth is to determine those traditional symbols that speak to you and use them, you might say, as bases for meditation. Let them work on you."

"A ritual is nothing but the dramatic, visual, active manifestation or representation of a myth. By participating in the rite, you are engaged in the myth, and the myth works on you - provided, of course, that you are caught by the image. But when you just go through the routine without real commitment, expecting it to work magically and get you into heaven - because you know that when you're baptized, you get into heaven, after all - you've turned away from the proper use of these rites and images."
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

Great quotes, Jordan.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 »

Thank you Jordan!! Those are wonderful and what I really find so practical and honest with Campbell's thoughts. The religions or rituals are very real... if you have faith in them to truly understand them. Honestly, I think I have been naive for years going through the motions and not really understanding the depth of why they are so sacred to me.

Very good thoughts to ponder. Thanks again.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Heber13 wrote:Honestly, I think I have been naive for years going through the motions and not really understanding the depth of why they are so sacred to me.
I feel the same way. all that disillusionment has opened my eyes to so many things. the struggle has become strangely precious to me.
HiJolly

Post by HiJolly »

I just listened to the MP3's on this that I ripped from the CDs at the library... :oops:

Anyway, I identified very well with Joe's POV. If the individual is invested in the myth, then it works. Jesus said it: "believe". Our approach should be "Lord, I believe. Help thou my unbelief."

In our current secular world, humanist values are dimming our belief in the value, the efficacy, of myth, ritual, and religion. Funny how we are too smart for our own good, when we discard myth.

HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus