"The Young Messiah".

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Khadijah

"The Young Messiah".

Post by Khadijah » 17 Mar 2020, 13:45

A wonderful, inspiring movie about a younger pre teen Jesus. On YouTube.

Khadijah

Re: "The Young Messiah".

Post by Khadijah » 25 Mar 2020, 23:12

I have been exhaustively searching for more work by those who made this movie. It has Sean Bean and David Bradley in it, I I know that it was not done by amateurs. The rest of the players do a wonderful job but are not as well known. The Movie is apparently an adaptation of a Novel written by Anne Rice. Adam Greaves-Neal portrays the young Jesus. Sara Lazzaro plays his Mother Mary. Joseph is played by Vincent Walsh.

As I was searching tonight, there seems to be some evidence that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, was somehow involved? Golly, Does this mean I will feel obligated to be more respectful to leadership? Perhaps so.

For me, the movie is the best of the best.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Mar 2020, 04:49

I had also done some looking into the film when you first mentioned it. Just curious, where are you getting the idea there might have been a connection with the church in its production? While I'm certainly not opposed to good works produced by other churches (and I've been meaning to post about The Chosen), I don't see the evidence of involvement of The Church of Jesus Chris of Latter-day Saints in it (or The Chosen). I am willing to admit I could be wrong, however, if shown the evidence. Reviews written by members is not evidence it was produced by the church. I initially discovered The Chosen because my SP recommended it - he didn't say how he discovered it.

I think films like this fall under the "best books" idea. Films obviously didn't exist when the revelation was given, but given technology advancements I think it fits. If there's learning and truth there by all means I think we should embrace it.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Khadijah

Post by Khadijah » 27 Mar 2020, 15:15

I have no hard evidence that the Church was involved, though as I looked at the Producers and Production companies, a few things stood out as circumstantial 'evidence'. I've been told that there is a "set" built for the purpose of making movies of the Biblical era out between Provo and St George, West of I-15. I've been unsuccessful at locating it using Google, however.

The "Doctrine" of The Young Messiah seems untampered with. I've done years of research on belief systems and many I find the doctrine of many to be debatable. Some of the Catholic Doctrine is offensive to me. The Orthodox Doctrine often takes off in a direction that I have not investigated. I had thought that the Catholic and Orthodox theology would be close, but they do not seem to be.

On YouTube right now, there are just lots of Videos about Jesus and many of them are labelled as to having been produced by the Church. It just felt like the sets and some of the actors were the same as The Young Messiah. Just intuition on my part.

The site where the Sundance Festival is said to be held is supposedly at the foot of Mount Timpanogos, between SLC and Park City. It is apparently owned by Robert Redford.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 27 Mar 2020, 17:23

There's not much mystery to it.

In 2018 the BYU film school was ranked #34 in the USA and has some famous alumni (Jon Heder, Aaron Eckhart, Jared Hess, others).

Sundance has been going on in Park City for over 40 years. Many screenings are in the Egyptian Theatre in Park City, UT.

The church built a Jerusalem movie set near Goshen, UT in 2011. The more recent Book of Mormon adaptations were also filmed near Goshen, UT.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/chu ... g?lang=eng

According to IMDB the production companies behind The Young Messiah are:
  • 1492 - of Harry Potter fame
  • CJ Entertainment - they've worked on a lot of Marvel movies
  • Hyde Park International - I haven't seen anything they've done
  • Ocean Blue Entertainment - appear to be partners with 1492
As far as the LDS church is concerned, there's not much "doctrine" surrounding the adolescence of Jesus. The only canonical account is when Mary and Joseph couldn't find Jesus in their traveling party and later found him in the temple. That would make for a short film and I don't think the LDS church would go out on a limb to produce a film with lots of speculative elements. The church generally likes to keep things correlated and limited to what can be found in canonical works.

There are accounts of Jesus' adolescence, like the fan favorite Infancy Gospel of Thomas, but they are not canonical in the LDS church.
It is the end of the world. Surely you could be allowed a few carnal thoughts.
― Connie Willis

Khadijah

Post by Khadijah » 27 Mar 2020, 20:16

Thank you so much. So, while the Church may not have been involved, some familiar people were.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Mar 2020, 12:10

I think it's easy for us to perceive LDS influence in non-LDS works because we get so caught up in LDS dogma that we forget that dogma is not our exclusive property. We're not all that different than any other Christian sect in basic gospel theology. I think this is especially true for those of us more familiar with the Bible. Other Christians have more truth than most orthodox members care to or want to admit. To don't extent that particular dogma is reinforced to protect the "one true church" ideal.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction